Sunday, August 7, 2011

Blessings in Odd Places

I’m not sure that we define “blessing” in the right way these days. Think about it for a minute…how would you define a blessing? Would you define it as a positive thing that happens to us? As a gift bestowed on us by the Lord? The answer to our prayers? Well, blessings don’t always look like that. They aren’t always great big happy gifts with big bright bows on top. Blessings, I believe, should be looked at a little differently.

“A blessing is not always easy, painless, simple, comfortable or expected. A blessing often comes, wrapped in the mystery of darkness. But I am learning this truth - anything that makes us cry out to God can be counted as a blessing. Why? Because when we are desperate and in pain, when we have no answers and the darkness is closing in, we cry out to God, just as the disciples did - and He comes! Not because we have earned His presence or His mercy, but because we cried out with a tiny seed of faith, as His children, knowing He is not only able, but willing to come.” – Girlfriends in God.

I posted the song “Blessings” by Laura Story a couple of months ago and if you didn’t check it out then, go check it out now. The chorus says,

“Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise.”

Looked at in this way, infertility can be a blessing. Loss can be a blessing. Anything that you might be going through that causes you to call out to Jesus is a blessing because it is through those times that we draw closer to Him and He is there. He uses those times to refine us and to show us His love and mercy. God never said that this life would be easy but He did tell us that we would not have to go through it alone. I thank God for the experiences that He has brought me through and praise Him for His blessings during those times!!

What about you? What has happened in your life that you can count as a blessing?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I am always thankful when I receive that peace from God.. when I can look back on the things that have happened and say thank you Lord, for turning me to the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blessings" plays on the radio here about every 5 minutes so I have been thinking about this a lot recently too- it definitely puts things into perspective, even when I don't want to see them in that light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely count my infertility as one of my biggest blessings. My faith has been grown tremendously, as has my marriage... and now, through the blessing of adoption, I have a beautiful daughter that I wouldn't have had otherwise. God always knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree ... I wouldn't look to God so much if it weren't for my infertility. I have prayed so much more through this time of my life than any other. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song has been playing a lot on our Christian radio station too, and I love it. Since I heard it on your blog first it always makes me think of you. :) I know God has changed my heart in countless ways through our infertility and now as a parent - for that I know, without a doubt, that our infertility was/is a blessing. My relationship with the Lord would not be where it is today without the struggles we have gone through over the last few years. And as hard as it has been to go through our failed treatments this year, I know from previus experience that God is still working and using it for our good.

    I'm so glad to hear the first home study visit went well.

    ReplyDelete