Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court Ruling

Well, I'm not going to make any friends with this post, but it's laying heavily on my heart. The Supreme Court ruling. We've all heard about it. What is bothering me is not necessarily the ruling, but the response to it. 

Our pastor always says, "You can't blame the lost for acting lost." But what about the "Christians"? Those that say they believe the Bible?

The Bible is very clear that homosexuality is a sin.

Leviticus 18:22 NIV
[22] “ 'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Romans 1:26-27 NIV
[26] Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. [27] In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9 NIV
[9] Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men.

Those are just a few examples. Now, I am NOT saying homosexuality is worse than say, gossiping, but the difference is that I repent of that sin and with Gods help, change my life and stop gossiping. The person living a homosexual lifestyle is not repenting and changing their ways. We are called to love the homosexual, just not the sin. 

My point here is Christians either don't know their Bible or are allowing the cultural norms to compromise their beliefs. I was incredibly saddened yesterday by the "Christians" on Facebook that were showing their support in various ways. 

We either believe all of our Bible or none of it. We can't pick and choose, to do so cheapens the gospel and is incorrect. Believing in the Bible forms a lot of our convictions and we need to stand for them!
 

3 comments:

  1. If God's opinion changed tomorrow, I would happily embrace the change. But the fact is, it will not change, despite the cultural shifts, and we have to stand on His word even when it makes us uncomfortable or causes us to look ignorant and bigoted. This is heavy on my heart too, though I can't say I expected a different ruling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, friend. My heart has been aching since this decision - and not just because our federal gov't is overruling what states want to decide for themselves. (Grr!) Its so hard to understand how some Christians think this is a negotiable point that simply changes with the times. Not only does the Bible specifically state in certain verses that homosexuality is wrong, but its also important to see how over and over again throughout the rest of Bible God lays out His plan for marriage of a man and woman - even likening Christ as the bridegroom and us the bride. His plan was always for one man and one woman to come together. I don't see how this can be denied or written off as an antiquated view. In the wake of this decision I found myself floundering a bit, and worrying a lot, wondering how I will raise my children in such a world. But God is showing me with each day that I need to trust in His will and His plan, and not worry. My God is bigger. My God has already won the battle, no matter how things may seem today. Keep heart!

    ReplyDelete