Friday, October 1, 2010

Where are we going from here update…

I have gotten the question from several people, “what is the next step?”  And honestly…who knows.  :)  I had my follow up appointment at my OB on Tuesday and he said that I am physically healing well.  I am still in pain when I push myself at all working out and when we engage in extracurricular activities, if you know what I mean.  :)  He said that this is normal and might continue for a few more weeks while my uterus continues to heal. 

We did choose to do chromosomal testing on the baby, and surprise, they haven’t gotten those results back yet (they have to do the testing in Birmingham).  He was about to send me away when I asked him if we could begin some testing on Barry and I to see if we can find the cause of what’s going on here since it was my 2nd miscarriage (the first was back in March, an early loss miscarriage).  After I asked he agreed to start some blood work…but why in the world did he not suggest this without me having to advocate for myself??  I love my doctor, but I know they are all so busy and just don’t THINK sometimes.

My OB’s office contacted my RE’s office (without me ever asking) and they got on the same page regarding what blood tests we needed to have run.  I went back in on Wednesday morning (because I had to be fasting) and had 14 vials…yes, really…14! of blood drawn.  Barry went in yesterday afternoon and had 1 vial drawn.  Where is the fairness here??  They will be testing for a whole gamete of things (from autoimmune disorders to thyroid issues to chromosomal abnormalities to insulin levels) and we will have a follow up appointment in a few weeks to discuss the findings.  Maybe then we will have a better idea of what our next step will be.

I am pretty darn worried to be honest.  I know of many people who have had recurrent pregnancy loss testing and they have been able to find something and “treat” it to be able to sustain a future pregnancy.  But then there is also a chance they will find something genetically “wrong” with Barry or I and not be able to do anything about it.  Ignorance is bliss and I unfortunately am not ignorant in this area. 

I read in my devotional yesterday, “Every opportunity to worry is also an opportunity to trust Him.”  This moment I choose trust over worry and I will need to remind myself of this approximately 2 million times each and every day.  :)

12 comments:

  1. praying for guidance while ya'll figure this out. let us know what they find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for good results on your tests. Yes, I think that especially in the IF world you constantly have to be your own advocate. Good for you for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not begin to imagine what you have been going through. I definately don't think that 14 vials compared to 1 is fair. It always seem to fall that way with men though. :) Prayers for both of you for continued healing, the known, the unknown and a tiny miracle to make your family complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really surprised you had to ask for it especially with a late loss...sigh. you've been on my mind so much lately. Praying for you especially as y'all await these results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 14 vials?!?! Oh my gosh, I think my arm would be drained of blood! I am glad the blood draw is behind you, and I will be praying for some healthy and superb results on those tests! Good for you for asking, sometimes Doctors really are too busy and we have to be pushy to get what we want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im glad that you advocated for the testing...Unfort seems like these days we almost have to know just as much as the Dr. if no more to get anywhere in the IF/Recurrent Pregnancy Loss part of the world....I guess most Dr. dont do testing til after 3 losses but like you I pushed for basic testing after our second loss and we found a couple issues...then after two more losses is when I got the Big Guns out and went to Dr.Kwak an Reproductive Immuniologist in Chicago and she discovered more issues....We got pregnant for the 5th time and r now 19wks prego thank to Dr. Kwak and her immune treatments....If you do have immune issues Im telling you it is nothing to mess around with because the plan has to be perfect and a ton of prayers to get you through actual pregnancy/treatments...Because like IF usually a immune pregnancy is just as tough....For me it has been many ups and downs but I try to take things day by day...step by step and keep my faith strong....Many days I would pray for strength to get me through a tx or an appt...and he was there:) Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is an inspiration to me. I nominated you for the "One Lovely Blog Award" over on my page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 14!!! Oh my... I would have passed out... and cried, a LOT. But I am a wimp when it comes to needles. Praying for God to guide the Dr's hands and that the tests will be a guide to His will for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations for pushing for the tests. I did them in April and it seemed like forever for the results. They are well worth it and I am proud of you for pushing for them. Good luck and for us it was the start of a long journey but finally after 5 months we are cleared to try and conceive. Hugs and tons of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 14 vials?! That is SO wrong! I'm glad you made it through, and this waiting period must be the worst. Hang in there - it's great that your OB and your RE were on the same page! I, too, struggle with the worry, and I will lift myself and you up as soon as it creeps in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the update, you are so good at being your own advocate! I hope you get good results quickly and don't have to ever give 14 vials again~yowza! Love you and will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa, I am new to your blog and I really don't know how I got here ; )
    I was reading your story and I can tell you we have something in common.
    My water broke at 16 weeks and the heartbeat stopped at 18 weeks. So, I stayed in the hospital just waiting. I don't think any human being should have to go through that. It was back in January.
    I had a 2nd miscarriage back in July.
    Tomorrow I will be back to the Geneticist with my (18 ) blood tests, plus one image test, that I have no clue how to say in English (I am from Brazil). Now, we are waiting for answers....

    I will be praying for you and your Hubby and for a little baby for you.

    Fabiola

    ReplyDelete