Friday, September 18, 2009

Short term memory

So, I can't expect people who have not gone through infertility to always be aware of the things they do and say that might be hurtful to someone going through infertility.  They can't possibly know the power of their words and how one comment can ruin my day.  But those who have experienced infertility...one would think they would be more sensitive.  However this is not always the case...

Yesterday at a work meeting a lady who has gone through infertility told me she liked my dress and that  "you could even be 3-4 months pregnant and the dress would hide it!"  And she kept going on and on about it and looking at me suspiciously.

Facebook status updates that are updated 20 times a day that continually talk about their new baby.  From people who have experienced  infertility?  Don't they remember how hard it is to look through all of their friends status updates constantly talking about their babies??  Don't you remember that it feels like it is being rubbed in your face?

And of course the ever dreaded "When are you guys going to have one?" "When will it be your turn?" "Don't you want a baby?"  All from people who have walked this road...what in the world??!

Grrrr...people, people, people.  I pray that when I get to the other side of this I will not have short term memory loss!!  :)  And I pray that God will give me patience with those who have...

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who has the worst case of infertility amnesia I have ever encountered, to the point that she doesn't really speak to me anymore!!! That is my prayer, too, that I will always remember how I felt right now and try to be ever-sensitive to those whose hearts are broken to see me with my newborn...

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you will have to worry about having IF amnesia because of where your heart is right now....painful yes, but trusting God in the midst of it. But I think it's neat that you are recognizing something hurtful and logging it in your heart and head in the "DON'T DO's" file for down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously???!!!??? That's so incredibly ridiculous! I'm so terribly sorry you're having to deal with these apparently incompetent people. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also surprised by those with infertility amnesia. I used to think it was related to time spent trying, but now I think it more likely related to your heart and attitude. I agree with Melody, based on your heart I don't think you will ever have infertility amnesia.

    ReplyDelete