Sunday, February 7, 2010

A post from “Anonymous”

Recently someone who chose to remain nameless posted the following comment (which I have slightly censored for decency):

“I think it's pretty f#$@& obvious your God doesn't want you to get pregnant...”

Since this comment was posted anonymously, I was not able to reply directly to this person, so I would like to take a moment to address this in my blog, with the hope that this person continues to check my blog.

First of all, let me say that “my God” is not only my God but the one and only true God, the Creator of the universe and everything in it. He is a loving God, and He loves the person who posted this comment just as much as He loves me, because we are both His creation, created for His purpose. For this reason, I don’t hold resentment in my heart for this person, but I only love them and forgive them for what was meant as a hurtful comment.

Second, I would have to agree that, up to this point, it has not been God’s plan for us to be pregnant, or we would have been already. God’s timing, just like God Himself, is perfect, and only that which God allows to happen, will happen. I find peace in the fact that God has our best interest at heart, and He controls what happens in our lives, and when it happens. We are not God, and do not think on the same level that He does, therefore, until He makes his plans known to us, we will not know what He has in store for us.

The Bible has many examples of where God’s people prayed for certain things, but the timing was not right at the time they were asking for them. A few stories specifically deal with the same issue that we are dealing with (See the stories of both Sarai (later Sarah), and Rachel, which are in the book of Genesis. Both women were not able to conceive early in their lives. Sarah, Abraham’s wife, became pregnant later (I mean way later) in her life, and Abraham would later be known as the father of the entire nation of Israel, with descendants “as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore” (Genesis 22:17). Rachel prayed for a child for years, but was barren. Eventually God granted her a son, whom she named Joseph. (Genesis 30:23-24). I’m sure these women heard hurtful things from other people about why God was not blessing them with children in their own time, but it was in God’s plan, just not right then.

Both my wife and I believe in our hearts that it is the will of God for us to have children one day. We don’t know when, or how this will come to pass, but we have faith that if, when, and how it happens is up to God.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

To Anonymous, I don’t know your situation, or your background, but even knowing nothing about you, I can tell you with 100% certainty that God loves you so much that He sent his Son to die for you (John 3:16). I also believe that you coming across this blog and reading it was not by mistake, as nothing happens by coincidence. We will be praying for you, and ask that others who follow this blog will do the same.

~Barry

8 comments:

  1. Wow Barry. I am speechless as that was such a well written and emotionally controlled post. You can see God intwined in you and Lisa's life thru each post that is written. Many prayers for you both and a special prayer for "Anon".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, are you kidding me?! That is insane. I think it is amazing and completely perfect how you have responded in grace. I will be praying for Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry and Lisa,

    I can't believe someone would write that, and I'm so sorry for the hurt that comment caused. I've been reading along and praying for you guys like crazy! I listened to a sermon this weekend by David Platt and he said "The sovereignty of God is the only platform upon which we can deal with life's pain." I can't imagine what you guys have been dealing with, but isn't it good to have a God who is in control and has a plan? We miss you guys lots, and we're praying! (and JD says hi!)

    Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry, a wonderful post, that speaks the truth, God's truth. Sometimes it's hard to see what is obvious and truthful in this world. Praise God that we have His word written down for us in the bible, so that we can know His will and His heart. God only ever wants good things for us. It's the sinful, fallen world we live in that distorts His goodness, and is the reason why infertility, death, and malice exist. I will be praying for you and Lisa, and "anonymous".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine how hurtful that must have been to you. I'm so proud of your resilience and response. I love you guys and know God's will will be done for you.

    Love, Linds

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - that was wonderfully written Barry and spoken from the heart. We will continue to pray for you and for Lisa as well as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for acting like who you claim to be, Christ followers. The wisdom I found in your responses could only come for the Lord. What a wonderful example of love this is.

    I am praying for anonymous, too!

    ReplyDelete